In the Shadow of Kings: Social Housing in Naas 1898-1984
In 1899 Naas Town Commission built its first scheme of social housing. This book traces the roots of old Naas families and their long march from the crumbling cottages to new schemes of St Conleth’s and Our Lady’s.
Naas, (Nás na Ríogh), for centuries the meeting place of the Kings of Leinster. At the dawn of the twentieth century many Naas inhabitants lived in the shadow of these great kings in privately-owned, poorly built, single storey cottages, with no running water or toilets. Naas Urban District Council, did its utmost to improve the living standards of the people of Naas and rid the town, of its teeming side streets and substandard housing.
This is the lively tale of their long march from the crumbling cottages of Back Lane, Loughwee and New Row to the properly planned and pristine new schemes of St Conleth's and Our Lady's.
|Publication date||12 May 2007|